INTERNATIONAL AND LOCAL DONATIONS TO BTRTDH Trust...
.....Funded a challenging 2 year long initiative to; rehabilitate, upgrade and extensively equip a dilapidated hospital
in Tangalle (southern Sri Lanka).
Trust partnerships with international NGO’s and companies secured further funding, resources and expertise.
Each day for nearly 2 years, foreign volunteers gave up their time, personal commitments and money to make a
good hospital. Sri Lankan project workers and managers demonstrated outstanding qualities, abilities and
willingness to put others before themselves – often working in difficult and dangerous conditions.
Donations and gifts totalling more than 100,000,000 Sri Lankan Rupees (US$1 million) were used in this
international effort to improve free public healthcare for the people of Tangalle and surrounding villages.
Literally, hundreds of children and adults worldwide made this project possible.
THANK YOU, to everyone who helped!
Piped Gas, Air & Oxygen, plus a ‘Fresh-Air A/C system’ for each theatre.
- OPERATING THEATRE SUITE & INTENSIVE CARE UNIT > 2 x Theatres & ICU equipped with brand new
life-saving machines, apparatus & infrastructure. The Suite was reconstructed, enlarged & fitted with;
- BLOOD BANK > Renovated & fully equipped to receive, test, & store blood for operations.
- X-RAY DEPARTMENT > Complete building renovation/upgrade.
- NEW 140KVA 'BACK-UP' GENERATOR > Purchased & installed for the Operating Theatres/ICU.
2 x ‘Premature Baby Incubators’, Patient Monitors & Defibrillator's, beds, mattresses & sheets.
- 6 x PATIENT WARDS & BATHROOMS > Renovated, furnished & equipped including; Ultra Sound Scanner,
- NEW BATHROOMS > Constructed for Wards 3 & 5.
- NEW TUBERCULOSIS TESTING ROOM > Constructed.
- .NEW CLINICAL WASTE INCINERATOR INSTALLATION > Meeting European emission standards.
- MORGUE > Renovated, extended & equipped with a 2 body refrigeration unit.
- KITCHEN > Extended, reconstructed, fully tiled & fitted with modern, high quality, Stainless Steel fabrications.
* Supervised for the next 2 years with BTRTDH Trust sponsorship.
- NEW LAUNDRY* > Complete with full-size industrial washing, drying & pressing machines.
Building renovated to include; enlarged Laboratory & Internal Pharmacy.
- FORMER OUTPATIENT BUILDING NOW WITH > FULLY EQUIPPED DENTAL UNIT >
- NURSES REST ROOMS x 2 > Renovated & furnished.
- UPGRADED INFRASTRUCTURE > Corridors, floor & wall tiles, electrical & plumbing improvements, septic
tanks, drain channels, guttering, plasterwork, roof repairs, new toilets & sinks throughout, re-commissioning of
condemned areas, new Electricity Transformer room plus much more.
- OTHER INITIATIVES > Working in cooperation the (GERMAN) KLINIKUM WEIDEN medical team which
provides free staff training at Tangalle.
- BASIC TRAINING > of Minor Staff to promote hygiene & improved patient care.
- PARTICIPATION > in projects to improve general standards.
- CLEANING & MAINTENANCE PROGRAM > Throughout the entire project a team was employed to minimise
inconvenience to patients, staff and management.
Trustees and everyone involved in the project undertook this task in memory of those
who died and the many who lost so much at the time of the Tsunami…
on December 26th 2004.
Buckingham Tsunami Relief Tangalle DISTRICT HOSPITAL TRUST 2005 - 2007